West Vancouver British Columbia 3500 sf
A home for an artist, a furniture maker and their four children, the goal of this project was to maintain the siting and garden of the original home while adding four bedrooms, a studio and an office. The existing home- one of the first in the area dating from the 1930’s- has an historical significance as the Quay House originally built for a ship’s pilot and overlooking the water. The site is a block back from the water in West Vancouver’s Dundarave and sits upon a hill affording a commanding view of the ocean. Today the house is surrounded by a forest of mature cedars and yews, with a carefully tended specimen garden of 100 different apple trees, quince, figs, plum and other mature fruit trees. To keep the garden meant keeping the house.
The approach was to put a distinct 16’ glass addition to the west of the existing house for the bedrooms that is structurally independent yet would connect the interior spaces. Inside, the original marquetry of the narrow, solid oak floors was protected and refurbished. Outside, the original windows were replaced with anodized aluminum storefront frames capable of withstanding the exposure of limited overhangs in a wet climate. A new coat of white stucco announces the house afresh, discretely commanding its hilltop lookout.